Thursday, February 26, 2009

A Night Out On the Town (going solo)

So here is something fun! Shawn has recently decided to fill in the last few free minutes of his days (or just creating more minutes to use...somehow) by joining a research team On-Campus. He loves it and I am going to force him to post about it as soon as he decides to create more minutes. But until then, let me tell you about what he did with his research team on Tuesday night.

So, he decided to take a little nap when he got home that night before delving back into his homework load. The time was about 6:15 and he was finally getting into his “unconscious” state, when his phone started vibrating. He sleeping answered, still a little unaware of whether it was his alarm or a phone call, until the voice on the other line started talking back. Ryan, one of his research colleagues, was apparently inviting him and his fiancé (that would be me) out to dinner. The research sponsors who are providing all of the funding for their project are in town this week from far away Denmark for meetings and to check on the progress of their investments. It is a well known fact that when sponsors come into town, you get treated to a night out on the town. Sadly, oh so very very very sadly, I was working that night. Shawn expressed that he was a little uneasy about going without me, especially since everyone else going along had a date. In fact, they offered to find him one. They thought a lowly freshman would fit the part perfectly. But, luckily for me, Shawn knew because of some prior experiences, and because…well…we’re engaged, so that probably wasn’t a good idea. He had no idea what to expect for the night, so when they started heading up Provo Canyon, he got a little suspicious. They ended up here (click it).

Yeah...I know. "The Tree Room" at Sundance Resort… Just read the opening paragraph and you’ll start to understand the bitterness in my voice. Let explain though, just so that you'll have the big picture. I happen to love food. The culinary arts (now notice I say art, because it is an ART) is my passion. Gourmet food markets and a well out-fitted kitchen would really be enough to make happy. Well, maybe a nice place setting to enjoy the deliciousness would be nice too, but you can’t have it all. It’s a little ironic really that one of my greatest wishes since Shawn and I met was to treat him to a top of the line dining experience and then hopefully have him understand better my love for cuisine. I just never thought he would have it without me...

So here’s what he ate.Four courses....(I'm really trying hard not to be bitter...)

Buffalo Carpaccio Pecorino Romano, Olive Oil, Fleur De Sel

Soup Exploration Their soup of the day was (TBA)

Sauteed Utah Trout Brussels Sprouts, Petite Fingerling Potatoes, Chive Beurre Blanc

Warm Chocolate Truffle Cake Hazelnut Caramel Sauce, Salted Caramel Ice Cream

He raved about the evening. They were there for 3 hours, and he loved every minute. I was a little jealous…okay, A LOT jealous, but he broke the news to me lightly by surprising me outside my work when I got off at 10:00 that night.He gave me a huge hug and had a suspiciously big smile on his face. I pestered him enough to quell his need for a good reaction and he finally spilled the news. Lucky for him, the surprise was good enough curb the ugly green monster from over taking me. It was so fun to hear him talk about the food like it was from heaven and to hear all the funny conversations and things he learned about Denmark (ask him for stories on that one). Needless to say, it was night to remember. It’s not everyday a poor, soon to be poorer, college student gets taken out to a $100 a head restaurant at one of the most famous resorts in the country now is it. Yay for fun memories that we will never be able to afford to make ourselves.

P.S. To Shawn's credit, he was sure to tell me that he was thinking of me through out the entire meal and wishing I was there to experience it with him... I love you honey....and I wish I had been there too.

0 comments: