Thursday, April 2, 2009

Coldplay and Torches

So I am sitting in the bottom floor of the Clyde building with Coldplay setting the mood in the background. Shawn is playing with a flame torch beside me and Jacob is standing on a table connecting flow control meters to the ceiling. Welcome to the rest of our life! Chemical Engineering! I am spending the evening with Shawn and with coworkers at his research lab. Although I have no idea what is going on around me, it's amazing to realize that this is going to be Shawn's life...playing with torches and acid and who knows what else. Watching him really inspires me. He loves what he does and seems to lose track of time, so focused on his task. It could almost be poetic if the task wasn't soldering stainless steel pipes together with 5000 degree (F) flame. But, even then, amongst my "Honey be careful!"'s and "You are going to kill yourself!"'s, I really love watching him work. I guess everyone has their own form of poetry. Sometimes its novels, music, accounting problems, or like to the love of my life, flow meters. Someday I hope to understand and be an active supporter of his work, but I guess for now I can just enjoy Coldplay, and watch him work his magic: both on the stainless steel rod he is heating up till it turns orange, and on me. I love you darling!

0 comments: